Wednesday, February 3, 2010

L.'s challenge

Alright. The time has arrived for L.'s challenge. To remind y'all, my charge is to connect a personal experience on a trampoline to any of Quentin Tarantino's films in three paragraphs. And I will vanquish this worthy adversary. Oh yes. She is a wily opponent, but she shall fall in the end. Wow. Apparently, red wine makes me talk like Athos from The Three Musketeers.

Shall we begin?

The last time I jumped on a large trampoline was at a summer cabin owned by my father's boss. Said boss always dressed like someone from the past. To be more precise, he looked like a guy straight out of the 1950s. He could've easily been thrown into a Grease revival. He wore black polyester pants and white muscle shirts, and sported slicked back hair.

That reminds me of Pam Grier, who was featured in Quentin Tarantino's Jackie Brown. Grier had achieved success starring in blaxploitation films in the 1970s, but her starring role in 1997's Jackie Brown marked a major comeback in her career. So, like my father's boss' mode of dress, Grier's career seemed stuck in the past until she appeared in Tarantino's film.

(Dang. I need a third paragraph to complete the challenge. Here goes nothing.) The eponymous character Jackie Brown* reminds me of another Tarantino film, Reservoir Dogs. In it, Tarantino plays Mr. Brown, whose last name is shared with Grier's character.

*On an interesting side note for the cinephiles, the film Jackie Brown was based on Elmore Leonard's book Rum Punch. In the book, the lead character is named Jackie Burke, but Tarantino changed it to Jackie Brown as an homage to one of Grier's earlier films, Foxy Brown (1974).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Failure: Roasted Green Tomatoes

This soup was an utter failure.  I roasted a bunch of green tomatoes, thinking I could salvage them from the fall garden. I'd make roast...