Thursday, April 1, 2010

It's All in the Pajama Pants

This past week, I achieved a minor life goal: to wear pajama pants to work. On Wednesday, I had a physical therapy appointment, and when I woke up, wearing anything besides soft, comfy pajama pants seemed out of the question. So I did it. And the world did not fall apart. Makes me think I should do it more often.

Also this past week, Laura and I had a crappy meal at Babe's. The waitress wasn't exactly surly, but she was painfully awkward. We ordered hoops (their version of onion strings), Asian chicken salad, and Cajun chicken salad. My Dreamsicle martini was yummy and watching the middle-aged women get plastered was entertaining, but I wouldn't recommend eating there. The trouble is that the far east side has a dearth of decent restaurants unless you're into crappy chains.

What else? I watched Auntie Mame in its entirety for the first time, and she's my new role model. Also, while I'm talking movies, I saw two great ones last week that I forgot to share with you: Sita Sings the Blues and Happy Endings. Sita is an animated retelling of the Ramayana juxtaposed with the contemporary story of the director's divorce. Several different animation styles are utilized, yielding one Sita that resembles Betty Boop and belts out bluesy numbers. I never buy soundtracks, but I'm considering buying this one because it features original 1920s recordings of singer Annette Hanshaw. There's also some great debates about the true meanings of the Ramayana. Happy Endings also discusses the vagaries of contemporary love, but with a heavy dose of reality. In other words, this is not your typical chick flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Failure: Roasted Green Tomatoes

This soup was an utter failure.  I roasted a bunch of green tomatoes, thinking I could salvage them from the fall garden. I'd make roast...