Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Fashion hate

Walking around on campus these days makes me cringe. On the street, I confront awful ankle boots with crazy, spikey heels, skinny jeans, slouchy boots, and side ponytails. The other day, I saw a girl wearing denim cut-off shorts with tights and then saw the look repeated in Urban Outfitters' window. The mall--when I risk entering that creepy realm--is populated with rack upon rack of neon, graffiti-inspired prints, and American Apparel was displaying shiny, spandex leotards ala Jane Fonda. Even peplum has reared its ugly head in the pages of catalogs. Peplum, for the love of god! What's next, those football player-caliber shoulder pads?



What the hell is going on? I understand that fashion is cyclical, but why bring back such hideous specimens? I’m not sure why this disturbs me so much. Perhaps I don’t feel old enough to witness a revival of trends from my childhood.

2 comments:

  1. I saw a jumpsuit and was thinking the same sort of thing. Who thought this was a good idea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out www.latfh.com for some really terrible fashion. Makes me hate people a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Failure: Roasted Green Tomatoes

This soup was an utter failure.  I roasted a bunch of green tomatoes, thinking I could salvage them from the fall garden. I'd make roast...