Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Loafing around


Last Sunday afternoon, I had a craving for comfort food, so some friends (Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, Otis Redding, The Temptations, Al Green, and such) and I set about assembling a lovely salmon loaf. I must admit that ever since I was a kid, I relished crunching the little round bones in my teeth. And while doing so, I say:

Fee-fi-fo-fum!
I smell the blood of an Englishman
Be he 'live, or be he dead,
I'll grind his bones to make my bread.

That's a joke. I don't do that.....Well, not when anyone is around. Kidding! Ahem. Yes. Time for the cooking portion of the entry, don't you think?


I started by sauteeing onions, garlic, and curry powder.


Then I crushed multigrain crackers with a rolling pin to provide the breadcrumbs for which the recipe calls.


Next, I mixed all of the remaining ingredients (eggs, salmon, parsley, onions, garlic) together in a large bowl.

Then I chilled the mixture for 15 minutes, and baked it in a *loaf pan. So Joy of Cooking's salmon loaf turned out pretty well, although I think next time, I'd leave out the curry powder. It and my poor photographs make the loaf a crazy sort of yellow. Also, I was trying to avoid the fatty white sauce (with peas) that usually accompanies the loaf, but in the end, the salmon loaf seemed incomplete without it. I guess there's a reason they're usually served together.

*Upon searching in my cupboard for a loaf pan, I realized that I am without one, which is odd. I could've sworn that I had one, but perhaps it vanished in one of my many moves. I used a casserole dish instead, but salmon casserole doesn't sound nearly as classy as salmon loaf. ;)

2 comments:

  1. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. I could have done without the bone crunching portion of this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee. Hee. Sorry about that. I should've remembered that you're a bit squeamish about such things. As I recall, you used to dissect your cafeteria chicken patty before eating it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Failure: Roasted Green Tomatoes

This soup was an utter failure.  I roasted a bunch of green tomatoes, thinking I could salvage them from the fall garden. I'd make roast...