Sunday, February 2, 2014

Baked Falafel with Cucumber-Pita Salad

I hadn't made falafel since K. and I attempted a batch in my minuscule kitchen in London. Since it had been more than a decade, it was time to try again. In an attempt to imitate the wondrous falafel we had from street vendors, I'm pretty sure we fried ours. This time, I was hoping for a somewhat healthier version, so I baked them. (Plus, I hate frying stuff in my apartment. The joint inevitably smells greasy for days afterward.)


This recipe from Instructables turned out alright. They didn't hold together as well as I'd hoped, and they weren't as crunchy on the outside as I like. The spice level was great, mainly because I amped up the cayenne and garlic and added other Indian spices (e.g., turmeric) that weren't called for. Turmeric has many health benefits, so I like to throw it into lots of stuff.



Uncooked falafel balls

Next time, I'll try this one from Just a Taste, but I still want to bake them. I'll have to investigate how to make them hold together better and how to get them crispier with baking.

Pita chips
In addition, I made a cucumber-pita salad (see above), and while I can't recall which recipe I used, here's one from The Food Charlatan (which is, by the way, a great food blog name) to get you started. Thanks to C. and K., we also had hummus, spicy olives, and a gorgeous fruit tray.

Cooked falafel


No comments:

Post a Comment

Failure: Roasted Green Tomatoes

This soup was an utter failure.  I roasted a bunch of green tomatoes, thinking I could salvage them from the fall garden. I'd make roast...