Sunday, October 31, 2010

Trick or Treat?

On Tuesday night, I looked at a Sherman Terrace condo. It was cute, but a bit small and rough around the edges. And I need to assess if I can afford it and if I want to own something right now.

When I got home, I watched Glee and made braised bok choy with glazed tofu. It turned out very well, although I had to employ the fan to dispel the greasy scent filling my abode after the glazing. Here's the recipe:

Glazed Tofu over Braised Bok Choy
1 14-oz. package firm tofu (cut into 1/2-inch slices)
spray of olive oil
2 heads bok choy (~ 6 c. cut into 1-inch pieces)
3 garlic cloves (1 thinly sliced, 2 minced)
1 14-oz. can vegetable broth
1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
2 tsp. fish sauce or tamari
1/4 c. soy sauce
4 tsp. dark brown sugar
2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
2 Tbsp. cornstarch

Dry tofu with towels. (Wrap the tofu with the towels and press it with some heavy cans to extract a bit more moisture.) Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute bok choy and garlic in oil for about 4 mins. Add 1 1/2 c. of broth and simmer until reduced by half. Meanwhile, combine minced garlic, ginger, fish and soy sauces, brown sugar, and sesame oil. Heat oil in another skillet over high heat. Add tofu and brown, ~ 3 mins. per side. Add the soy mixture to coat the tofu. Simmer, uncovered, until the sauce is syrupy, ~ 4 mins. Stir the cornstarch into the reserved broth; add to the bok choy. Stir gently until thickened, ~ 2 mins. Divide the bok choy onto 4 plates and top with glazed tofu.

On Glee, they featured Rocky Horror Picture Show, which made me want to be one of the characters from it for Halloween. (It's now recorded on my list of potential costumes.)

My favorite article on NPR this week noted that Tom DeLay's trial starts in Austin on Monday. I hope they nail the bugger for illegally financing Texas state legislature races.

On Friday night, I hauled my exhausted bum to a Halloween costume party on the west side. I went as Mia Wallace (Uma Thurman's character from Pulp Fiction), and my accomplice played a garden gnome. It was a fun evening filled with tons of creative costumes. In attendance were bumblebees; several Pirates of the Caribbean-inspired pirates; Willy Wonka--the new Johnny Depp interpretation, not Gene Wilder's original version; Princess Leia; Snooky; The Situation; Cat Woman; Batman; crazy clowns; Go-Go girls; witches; and a simply marvelous man posed as a female sailor. Honestly, he nailed female mannerisms--casually brushing his blond locks away from his face, the coquettish side stance, and the entire party envied his up-to-there legs. The evening also included fun Halloween-themed food and drinks, a bonfire, and a few new acquaintances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Failure: Roasted Green Tomatoes

This soup was an utter failure.  I roasted a bunch of green tomatoes, thinking I could salvage them from the fall garden. I'd make roast...