Thursday, October 14, 2010

A couch! A couch! My kingdom for a couch!

Just a quick note before I go to bed. I need to get back into the groove of writing regularly here. This week has been a bit of a whirlwind. Last Saturday morning, Mike was nice enough to help me pick up and move a Crate and Barrel couch that I was purchasing from a couple through Craigslist. When we tried to move it into the apartment, we discovered that my stature put us at a unique disadvantage for maneuvering the piece into the house (it entailed either lifting the whole thing about a foot over my head to hoist it over a balcony or creative twisting and turning to accommodate narrow doorways). Luckily for me, other tallish friends left the football game early because they were broiling in the hot sun, so they finished the job. So now when y'all come over, you won't have to feel like you're perching on uncomfortable parlor chairs circa 1902.

Work is v. busy as we prepare for an upcoming conference. And I subbed for three different yoga classes this past week, so on Monday and Tuesday, I didn't get home until 8pm. Dexter says he's beginning to forget what I look like. (He's sitting next to me, silently pleading for a lick from my ramekin of java chip ice cream.)

However, I did manage to go to dinner with Jim and Jason at the Weary on Wednesday. As usual, I had the west of the Andes sandwich on tuna (http://bit.ly/9bbmpD). Mmm. Pico de gallo and chipotle mayonnaise on a marvelous tuna steak with a generous swathe of avocado: It just doesn't get any better than that. Jim and Jason both had the Hungarian goulash

Last month, a bunch of us saw Wicked at the Overture. I enjoyed it, although the experience was somewhat tempered by a major case of vertigo. Also, I wish I could've been closer to really see the costumes and appreciate the choreography.

Beforehand, we went to Fresco, the rooftop restaurant about the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, for dinner. And that was phenomenal. I had the chicken Fresco, which was yummy. But I think my favorite part of the meal was dessert. Abby B. suggested (well, it was more of a directive ;)) we order the buttermilk beignets. Masquerading as simple round donuts, they are equipped with a milk chocolate center and vanilla creme anglaise. Thanks, Ms. A., for introducing me to the beignet!  

Last month was also my birthday, and my favorite birthday wish came from Ms. Lisa. With music from Bizet's Carmen playing in the background, her electronic card read: "Celebrate like a gypsy slut." Hilarious. Cracked me up. (Yeah, yeah. I know: The correct term is Roma, but it was still pretty damn funny.)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous! I really wanted to go to Wicked. Also, are you up for a return to Fresco for beignets? They sound delish!!

    ReplyDelete

Failure: Roasted Green Tomatoes

This soup was an utter failure.  I roasted a bunch of green tomatoes, thinking I could salvage them from the fall garden. I'd make roast...