Monday, May 9, 2011

Umami

I just finished my leftover ramen from Umami Ramen and Dumpling Bar on Willy St., and my belly is hippity-hoppity happy. (The hippity-hoppity thing is a belated nod to the Easter bunny. :)) J. and I ate there last night.

We each ordered tonkatsu ramen (with a garlic bomb add-on to share between the two ramen entrees), and we split a small order of the vegetable dumplings. The tonkatsu ramen contained thick slices of delectable pork, ramen noodles, scallions, bamboo shoots, flavor-infused egg, nori, bean sprouts, and last but definitely not least, a sumptuous pork broth.

I say last but not least for a reason. When I ate the leftover ramen at work, a layer of fatty goodness from the pork broth had congealed on the top of the take-out container. I scraped what I could into my soup, but a few tempting, lardy bits remained. For a few moments, I contemplated weaseling my tongue into the cover's grooves to extract the bits, but I refrained. I'd like to claim that self-restraint was the driving force here, but it was more the thought of a colleague catching me red-tongued (like red-handed, get it?) in such a gluttonous pose. But just so you know, I seriously considered it.

The veggie dumplings were filled with smoked tofu, bok choy, and shiitake mushrooms. Next time, I'd skip them, though. They were less than stellar and occupied valuable gullet space where more delicious ramen could've lived. The shiitakes were the only discernible flavor; the bok choy and smoked tofu were so muted that they got lost in the mix. And even the shiitake flavor vanished when the dumplings were dipped in the too-spicy sauce.

They get a few points off for taking too long to correct the bungled bill. The waiter added other diners' items to our bill, and that's not such a big deal. I'm willing to forgive mistakes if they're handled properly, but the waiter first implied that our claim was questionable. Then, he and the manager took an additional 15 or 20 minutes to remedy the situation.

I'm going to assume the bill issue was a fluke. When I return, I'd like to try the pork buns, the tuna poke, and the apple walnut frisee salad (tart apple, dried cranberries, walnuts, goat cheddar in a light pomegranate mint dressing). And I might just get the tonkatsu ramen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Failure: Roasted Green Tomatoes

This soup was an utter failure.  I roasted a bunch of green tomatoes, thinking I could salvage them from the fall garden. I'd make roast...