Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cauliflower Soup




This is my friend Tamara's amazing cauliflower soup. It was part of a quick post about leftovers and 2011's film festival, but I neglected to provide the recipe. 


I made it again recently, so here it is:

1 medium size onion (diced)
3 nice-size carrots (sliced in nice chunks)
1 small stalk of celery (optional)
2 Idaho/russet potatoes (sliced into cubes)
1/2 cauliflower or whole if smallish (separated into medium-size florets) 
1 can whole or diced tomatoes 
6 c. vegetable stock or water 
salt, pepper, and basil or thyme
couple of tablespoons of olive oil 
heavy cream or sour cream 
frozen peas

Sauté all vegetables together in a large pot, on medium-high setting, turning the vegetables frequently, for about 7-10 minutes.

Add 1 can whole or diced tomatoes, with juice. Add 1-2 cans of vegetable stock and ~ 5 cups of water (submerge all contents in liquid). Add salt, pepper, and dried basil or thyme to taste. Cover. Boil on high heat for ~30 minutes. Taste the cauliflower to make sure that it doesn't get too mushy; you want it tender and firm, so it may take 20-25 minutes or even longer.

Last step: Check for seasoning, and add salt if needed. Take the pot off the heat, and stir in a few tablespoons of heavy cream or sour cream and add peas. Serve warm.


2 comments:

  1. Yum. I bet I could make that with coconut milk instead of cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sara: Sure. I don't see why you couldn't use coconut milk. Give it a whirl, and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete

Failure: Roasted Green Tomatoes

This soup was an utter failure.  I roasted a bunch of green tomatoes, thinking I could salvage them from the fall garden. I'd make roast...