Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Muppets

Chicken pho

The Daleys and I took in Muppets in Space on the Memorial Union Terrace awhile ago. Beforehand, we attempted to try the bánh mì (a French-influenced Vietnamese sandwich) at the Viet Hoa Market in Monona. Alas, they were out of the sandwiches by the time we arrived. (They said to call ahead next time, and they'd make some.) I am not deterred, though. I shall try again.


According to the Isthmus, The Mermaid Café has a great roast beef version, Viet Hoa's is the best bargain, Graze bánh mìs with chicken pâté, and Saigon Noodles' version stands out as the spiciest and possessing the best bread (a Portuguese roll).


Instead, we opted for Ha Long Bay, and I tried their chicken pho. Overall, it left a little to be desired on the flavor front. Perhaps if I'd gone with a more traditional route and ordered the beef version, it would've had more depth of flavor. They also skimp a bit on the toppings. I'm accustomed to having scads of cilantro, scallions, mint, Thai basil, lime, and bean sprouts at my disposal, but their garnishes were on the sparse side.

Stop taking photos of me!


We were pretty far away from the screen, so it was a bit hard to hear. Even so, I don't think Space is the best film in the Muppets' arsenal. Regardless, it was nice to be outside on a lovely evening. Note to Memorial Union: Stock up on Mike's Hard Lemonade. It seems you only have it in stock every third time I'm there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Failure: Roasted Green Tomatoes

This soup was an utter failure.  I roasted a bunch of green tomatoes, thinking I could salvage them from the fall garden. I'd make roast...